Mid Tom: low volume. Hi Tom: Overdriven/ distorted...

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • I have the same issue with the mid tom. Haven't had time to look too deeply yet but I'll add to this thread when I do.

One thing I did notice during the few minutes I looked was that one envelope was lower by 50% than the other two. (Env1=2V, Env3=2V, Env2 is a different shape, more of a curve than a triangle, and less than 1V.) Didn't know if that was normal though and didn't figure out which envelope did what.

My plan when I find time is to compare the 3 tom circuits and find where they differ but I don't know if they're similar enough for that plan to be viable. You have a scope? Maybe we can compare notes...
  • I have checked all resistors and caps. Also checked all joints.
    Have no clue what to check next. Maybe its just easier to replace the volume pot with a different resistance. Same with the Mid tom's low volume.
  • Am I the only one left on this forum?
  • drifter7508 wrote:Am I the only one left on this forum?
    Naaa, i'm here as well...

2 swedes on a ghostforum :mrgreen:

(det blir nog mer fart här efter semester etc)
  • jonnem wrote:
    drifter7508 wrote:Am I the only one left on this forum?
    Naaa, i'm here as well...

2 swedes on a ghostforum :mrgreen:

(det blir nog mer fart här efter semester etc)
    And the third swede is here also..
    But at the moment far away from my Nava, my scope and multimeter. But I'll try to help to dig into this problem after the "semestern". :)
  • I have also a lower volume mid tom and did some measuring today. I compared the accent testpoints and the mid tom accent is way below the low and high tom accent signal. The signal is already lower at the output of the multiplexer and since the op amp circuit (IC23B for mid tom) is the same at every tom of course the accent signal is also lower in the following stages (env) of the mid tom.. Any thoughts? I already swapped the 4051 ic without success, also checked resistor values..
    I'll upload some measurements tomorrow..
  • Exact same problem with my Midtom. No clue yet as to why
  • Has anyone tried playing the toms with midi? I did this last night and I'm pretty sure the levels were closer to being equal. The mid Tom still didn't have as much resonance to it as the other two but the level was higher than when being triggered by the internal Nava sequencer.
    I did this with velocity 127 for all 3 toms. Maybe someone with the mid tom issue can try this and verify what I saw?